The following are the licences required to set-up such an activity:
- Travel Operator or Excursion Operator Licence Parts A & B
- Tourism Compliance Certificate
- Travel Operator or Excursion Operator Licence Parts C & D
The final licence should be issued in 20 working days unless there are any non-conformity matters.
Travel Operator or Excursion Operator Licence Parts A & B
An application for a Travel Operator or Excursion Operator Licence has to be submitted to the Malta Tourism Authority (MTA) or alternatively through Business First. You need to fill in Parts A and B of the following application form. The following documents are required:
- A cheque for the amount of €46.59 payable to the Malta Tourism Authority
- Copy of applicant’s and operator’s identity cards
- Police Conduct Certificate of applicant and operator
- Detailed curriculum vitae of operator
- Site plan and layout plan of premises to be used for the business
- In the case of Companies submit a copy of the Memorandum and Articles of Association
Tourism Compliance Certificate
At this stage Malta Tourism Authority automatically issues a Tourism Compliance Certificate.
Travel Operator or Excursion Operator Licence Parts C & D
Before consideration for the issue of a licence, the applicant will be required to submit the following documentation together with Parts C and D of the application form:
- A full development permit and MEPA endorsed plans in respect of premises to be used for this activity.
- Third party liability insurance (immediately following issue of licence)
- In the case of a travel agency the applicant must submit evidence that s/he is an IATA agent.
- In the case of a Destination Management Company, the applicant must submit evidence that s/he is a member of an international; association specialising in conference and incentive travel.
Following submission of all of the above documentation, applicants must make arrangements with the Licensing Unit of the MTA for an on-site inspection of premises prior to starting operations.
In the case of a Destination Management Company (DMC), licence will be considered only if applicant is in possession of at least one year experience as an incoming travel agent and is in conformity with the Quality Assurance criteria for a DMC.
Types of Business in this category
- Travel Agent (outgoing)
- Destination Management Company
- Incoming Tourism Agent
- Excursion Organiser
Travel Operator or Excursion Operator Licence